Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Sweet tooth recipes

It is true what they say every pregnancy is different. With my first Son all I wanted to eat was avocados, salads and drink tang. I had a garden salad with hard bowled eggs for breakfast and it was the only thing I could keep down for a couple months.  But with this pregnancy I have a very big sweet tooth. This little girl is spoiled before she is even here. I want cherry turnovers, brownies, cake, cookies, cheesecake and ice cream. Any one who knows me knows I do not care for chocolate but this little one loves brownies. My husband is happy because there is always something sweet on our counters. So the old wise tell is true for me that boys like salt and greens while girls like sweets.  Here is a couple of the recipes that have kept me happy!

Cherry Turnovers,
Makes 5 turnovers
 
Great Grandma Linda Pie Crust  
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbs water
1/3 cup shortening.
 
and some cherry pie filling!
 
I made the pie crust and rolled it out and used a 4 inch bowl to make circles. Put about a tablespoon right from the can of filling in the middle of each circle. Folded the circles in half and crimped with a fork. then I used my old fashioned egg separator; brushed on the egg whites and sprinkled with cane sugar. Baked at 350 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
 
Because everything is better with frosting. I made a quick little icing, powder sugar, vanilla and a splash of milk. I have never measured it out but as long as it taste good I drizzle it on the turnovers with a spoon.
 
 
White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen
 
3 cups flour
34 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
34 cup margarine
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
12 teaspoon baking soda
1 bag white chocolate chips, (they taste the best if you freeze them first)
a couple handfuls of craisins
 
Plop into balls on a greased cookie sheet and
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown!
 
 
Now if you ask my husband he will say they are not desserts because there is fruit in them. I beg to differ, they make his daughter and pregnant wife happy!
 
 
This mama has been wanting yellow cake too so I make a yellow box cake(I am a busy stay at home mom that watched 3 other kiddos some days. it makes my life a little easier to use box cake..don't judge) and add Great Grandma Barrett's brown sugar frosting on it. which is melted stick of butter on the stove with 3/4 cup brown sugar all melted and dissolved. Bring to a bowl and then a tiny tiny splash of vanilla and powdered sugar. whisked until smooth and you pour on the cake hot. It should be a light tan color that is pretty thick.
 
 
Lincoln loves feeding my baked goodies, he will be an awesome big brother less then 2 months until we meet little sister!!
 
Whitney
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment